Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sweet Tooth - Salted Caramel Butter Bars

As mentioned in my post below, I love cooking. Especially sweet things. The problem is, then I eat those sweet things....all of them.....by myself. This is bad. What I have found is that other people like sweet things too! So to solve my dilemma of loving to cook, but not wanting to eat myself into Jabba the Hut, I have started cooking and baking for other people. Viola! Problem solved! Now that Jesson has started his new program, I have a whole new group of victims people to bake for! I have started making something for him to bring in every Monday, and they like it! I actually have requests from people (i.e something with peanut butter, chocolate, fruit, coconut, citrus, etc) This makes me so happy. Jesson isn't a big sweets person, so when I make things, he might have a few bites, but then he is done, and he almost NEVER requests anything. Having an entire group of people that not only like the treats I make, but actually get excited about what the next batch will be is too much fun!

This past week it was Salted Caramel Butter Bars. I found the recipe on Pinterest from Pip & Ebby. I followed the recipe exactly, but learned a few things along the way. First, when you bake the bottom crust, it is going to take closer to 30 minutes for the crust to get golden brown. Second, when you are microwaving the caramels, the first minute isn't going to do anything. You're going to have to do about 3-4 extra 30 second intervals (stirring between) to get the caramel really smooth. Third, don't bother starting on the microwave caramel mixture until you get the bottom crust out of the oven and cooling. That bottom crust has to sit for 15 minutes before you pour the caramel mixture over the top, so there's no point in finishing the caramel mixture and then letting it cool that long, it gets too thick. Past that the bars turned out amazing and everyone loved them! Here are a few pictures before I sent them in:


No comments: